Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Fierce Wonderings

When I got to Alexa's Parent Teacher Conference this month, I was overjoyed to be handed multiple examples of Alexa's work in the 3rd grade classroom.  My favorite piece was written in Alexa's handwriting and mounted on a repurposed wallpaper sample together with photo of my girl.
Here's what it said
Alexa's Fierce Wonderings
1. Why can't I go to school on a digger?
2. Why can't I drive a digger?
3. Why can't I play with (a) ball all the time?
4. Why can't I dig with my hands?
5. Why can't I drive?
She also filled out her own evaluation of her performance.  A list of statements from "I look after my belongings." to "I stay on task." was given an Always, Sometimes, Almost Never rating.  Mr B assured us that they had explained what Always, Sometimes and Never meant, and Alexa had done her own unprompted ratings.  They were completely in line with what an adult would have written given the same eval.  
If you are a parent of a child like Alexa who can easily be underestimated, then you will know how proud I was.  I have always known how many wonderful thoughts Alexa has in her head, but it's always a joy when she's given an opportunity to reveal her ideas to others. 
I know that the "Fierce Wonderings" project was completed with assistance in forming complete sentences, but I also know that she provided the topics with her AAC device, and that they are accurate representations of the things she'd like to know!
I have loved our experience of 3rd grade with Mr. B, who naturally designs his science and social studies work in a way that makes it easy for all learners to participate to the maximum extent of their abilities.  Alexa has learned so much this year and has participated in so many ways that would never have been possible if we had a teacher who loved worksheets more than hands-on projects.  This year has given us so much more than one happy year, it has shown us what is possible with appropriately designed instruction.  It has reassured me that placing Alexa in the same class as her same age peers is the right choice, and given me further proof that she excels in that environment.   

No comments:

Post a Comment